To obtain raw materials from waste recycling, it is necessary to collect, transport, classify and finally process them, which requires the consumption of water, energy and additional materials. Thus environmental benefits of selective collection and recycling must be weighed against resource consumption and pollution.
The FENIX – Giving Packaging a New Life’ project aims at developing an ad-hoc flexible and user-friendly software tool based on highquality technical and scientific data for evaluating alternative scenarios for the management of post-consumer packaging waste, enabling the selection of more environmentally sound waste management practices.
The new FENIX tool assists Spanish and Portuguese local municipalities and waste management entities in the decision-making for performing more eco-efficient and sustainable management of packaging waste. This tool uses a life cycle thinking (LCT) approach by incorporating the Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methodology. Users of the FENIX tool can introduce and modify a large number of parameters, such as km travelled, selection between different collection and treatment options, plant efficiency, etc. to adapt the models created in the tool to their real situation. Up to three different and independent waste management scenarios can be compared at the same time.
PROJECT GOALS:• To create a user-friendly and flexible tool for easily obtaining environmental Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) results of packaging waste management alternatives.
• To show the usefulness of LCA to help public authorities in different aspects related to waste management issues.
• To compile a specific database and parametrized models on waste treatment and recycling technologies, for Spain and Portugal.
• To share the knowledge outcomes among other Spanish and Portuguese institutions (universities, technical institutes, etc.) aiming at facilitating the establishment on an Iberian network of experts on LCA and waste management.
• To create and adapt the new software to the user’s real needs.
• To transfer the results to other European regions, in particular, the applicability of the project has been tested in Federal Czech Republic
Data for background processes such as the electricity production mixtures, the production of virgin materials, and the production of chemicals used in the treatment of the waste flows, were instead sourced from existing LCA databases [GaBi-PE international, ELCD, Ecoinvent] and adapted to the local (Spanish and Portuguese) conditions whenever appropriate.
The database is compatible with the International Life Cycle Database (ILCD), which is a common format to exchange inventory data among different LCA software tools and practitioners, promoted by the European Joint Research Center in Ispra, Italy.
- Best Available Techniques In Municipal Solid Waste Incineration: State Of The Solid Waste Incineration: State Of The Art In Spain And Portugal Solid Waste Incineration: State Of The Art In Spain And Portugal (2 MB, en)
- CILCA 2011 - State Of The Art And Life Cycle Inventory Of Packaging Waste Incineration In Spain And Portugal (2 MB, en)
- CILCA 2011 - The Fenix Project: Giving Packaging A New Life (2 MB, en)
- CONAMA (extended abstract) (297 KB, es)
This innovation is the result of the project
Title: Finding Regional Environmental Life Cycle Information On Packaging Waste Management Through Flexible Software Tools And Databases
Organisations and people involved in this eco-innovation.
Please click on an entry to view all contact details.
UNESCO CHAIR IN LIFE CYCLE AND CLIMATE CHANGE (ESCI-UPF)
Field: Agriculture, Architecture, Tourism, Private and public administration, Scientific research and development, Education (Spain)
Role in project: Project Coordination
Contact person: Dr. FULLANA Pere
Phone: +34-93 2954710
Contact person: Mr. FERNANDEZ Alberto
Contact person: Ms. CARRILLO Viviana
SOCIEDADE PONTO VERDE
Contact person: Mr. PÁSSARO Manel